Friday, January 8, 2010

Friday Wrapup (1/8) - $837 loss

9:30AM
Saw a couple of countertrend setups after the NFP report but didn't have the balls to enter.  Don't need to prove anything here.  Besides at best I might have broke even on all the trades.

Entered a short pullback trade @ 8:48AM starting with half-size (because risk wasn't well defined) and added another half 3 ticks higher when momentum seemed to stall.  This trade pretty much went against me from the start.  At the worst I was down 6 ticks on the trade and choose to scale out on first mini-retrace.  Ended up losing $262, which honestly was about $150 more than it should've been.  Got spooked a bit on the last 2 lots and closed when prices shot higher.  Still I can easily recover from such a small loss.  Much better than a $600 loss or worse.  Now let's get in gear here.

1:00PM
Very slow day, which is surprising considering the recent range consolidation.  I was certain we'd see range expansion today after the NFP release.  Guess there's still time.

Just one trade since this morning which was a bit forced.  Entered telling myself I needed to get in and out fast and failed to follow thru on my plan.  The trade was a short pullback at 11:45.  My first tgt was hit fairly easily, and I was up at most about $175 on the trade before the market turned sideways.  So I held the trade for the next hour or so and ended up exiting for a $50 loss.  Should've closed the trade much sooner for no worse than a $50 profit.  Down $312.50, but still plenty of time left. 

1:45PM
Probably just passed on best trade of the day, a CT short that I didn't think would go anywhere.  Thought we'd see another push to a new HOD since we were only a few ticks off the high.

4:00PM
Guess I was too focused on generating a profit.  "Found" a countertrend setup at 3:45 that I liked.  Thought this was a shakeout move before heading lower, but guessed wrong.  And what's worse I added a second position on another CT setup while I still had 2/3rds of the prior setup on.  Wow.  This could've been much worse, but I tried not to panic and puke into this move.  Managed to exit the 1st trade for a $400 loss and the 2nd for $125.  Under the circumstances I probably did the best I could.  But I should've have been in this trade to start with. 

So I finished a crappy day 0 for 4 and a pleasant $837 loss.  Screw me I hate going into the weekend like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment