Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Tuesday Wrapup (1/19) - $562 loss

4:00PM
Pretty much sat on the sidelines for the better part of the day as I got off to a horrid start and knew I was far from sharp today.

My first trade of the day was decent enough.  It was a short pullback taken at 5:45AM that I traded at half-size.  Managed to scale out for a $188 gain over 30 mins or so.  Took maybe 1 tick heat.

Next trade was the dummy move.  Opened a full position short at 8:20AM right before Citigroup released their qtrly earnings.  Sure I checked the econ calendar, but this is earnings season dummy! And of course right after the release price gapped higher and never looked back.  I had my worst case stop in place that I talked about last week, and while it came close to getting filled ultimately I scaled out for a $750 loss.  Not only did I enter the trade before a market moving earnings release, I didn't manage the trade risk well to start with.  After my entry the trade had broke down ever so slightly and I should've moved my stop down just above the swing high pt.  Would've lost at most $150 or so had I managed the trade right.

Definitely in a funk right now.  Where everything was so clear only a few weeks ago, the lights have been dimmed quite a bit.  I know I'll snap out of this soon enough, so I just need to keep trudging along limiting my losses until things become clearer.

No comments:

Post a Comment