Thursday, January 14, 2010

Wednesday Wrapup (1/13/10) - $3,788 Loss

4:00 PM
Wow where does one even find the words.  I'm embarrassed to write this post, but I suppose that's the point. Yes, that's not a misprint, I lost $3800 today.  Regardless of one's account balance that's a big number, about half of what I expect to make in an average month.

I've had these days before, and I'm sure this won't be the last.  In a game of seconds one bad decision is all that separates a trader from huge wins or losses.  And today I just wasn't sharp enough.  Even last night I sensed that I might need to scale back until I got a handle on the current market action.

As for the day's events my first 3 trades were pretty much a wash.  Lost on the first two countertrend long setups, but gained all that back on the third.  Note that these were all re-entries of the same setup as I figured we'd bounce off the lows.  Turns out I was right, but only captured a small part of the move.

Where I dug my grave was on a countertrend short setup at 11:13AM.  After a few minutes it was evident that the trade was going no where so I started orders to exit the trade at a decent price (which at the time may have been a minimal loss of say $100).  Got filled on my first limit order, and then the big trade hit.  Sure everyone saw it on their charts.  200K + contracts traded hands and the market shot higher with me short.  What's worse is that I added to the trade higher like an idiot thinking that a top had formed after that huge volume spike. Looking back it was a decent CT setup as my 1st tgt was hit easily, but I was jaded on my risk management due to have an existing short position on. From there I was pretty much was a deer in the headlights.  I rode the trend up all day long still firmly believing we would reverse.  And in the back of my head I knew that I was relying on hope, but was paralyzed.

I'm only thankful the market reversed slightly near the EOD because it could've and should've been much worse.  I'll return tomorrow trading 1/2 size and will continue to do so until I have a good feeling of the market structure. Let's hope this is the most embarassing post I ever have to write in this blog.

6 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear man. What kind of size were you trading?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well 9 contracts for the worst of it. Ouch

    ReplyDelete
  3. You don't trade with protective stops in place in case something like that happens? It's time to buckle down and get back to trading and stop gambling. You are better than this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tell me about it JL! I don't normally trade with hard stops, but this is going to change. I've always felt I could manage risk better scaling in and out, but that doesn't help much when you are standing in front of a train (ie 200K contracts yesterday). But these events will happen from time to time and I need to be better prepared.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very sorry to see that kind of loss. But very impressed that you were willing to post it and to trade the next day. Nothing to add other than that yours is a pain we have all felt. Best of luck working it out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, there will be good and bad days. Just hope the bad days are few and far between!

    ReplyDelete